Ganesh Chaturthi, also known as Vinayak Chaturdashi or Ganesh Utsav, is a very important festival for Hindus. It is celebrated in many parts of India, especially in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, and Karnataka, with a lot of excitement and happiness. This festival is all about honoring and worshiping Lord Ganesha, who is the son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
Ganesh Chaturthi Significance
The Ganesh Utsav festival is a 10-day celebration that will end on Thursday, September 28 with Ganesha Visarjan. This special day is all about Lord Ganesh, who is a god known for being wise, bringing good luck and success. Lord Ganesh is also called by different names like Gajanana, Dhoomraketu, Ekdanta, Vakrtunda, and Siddhi Vinayaka.
Ganesh Chaturthi 2023 Date
In Hinduism, there is a god named Lord Ganesha who was born in a special month called Bhadrapada. This month usually falls in August or September. This year, we will celebrate a special day called Ganesh Chaturthi on September 19th. After 10 days, on September 28th, we will have another special day called Ganesh Visarjan.
Ganesh Chaturthi 2023 Overview
|Date||19 September 2023|
|Timings||12:39 PM to 8:43 PM|
The auspicious time for performing Ganpati Puja during Ganesh Chaturthi in 2023
The Hindu festival of Vinayak Chaturdashi 2023 will start on September 18, 2023, at 12:39 PM and end on September 19, 2023, at 8:43 PM, lasting for 10 days. The Ganesha Puja Muhurat during this festival will be from 11:01 AM to 01:28 PM, lasting for 2 hours and 27 minutes.
Ganesh Chaturthi is important because it is connected to Lord Ganesha, who is worshipped as the one who can eliminate obstacles and bring good luck. Followers believe that by seeking Lord Ganesha’s blessings during this celebration, they can overcome challenges, achieve prosperity, and begin new ventures with positive enthusiasm.
Ganesh Chaturthi 2023 Puja Vidhi
To commence the Puja Vidhi, devotees meticulously clean their homes and decorate the altar with vibrant flowers, colorful rangolis, and traditional ornaments. These preparations symbolize the purification of the surroundings and the creation of a divine atmosphere to receive Lord Ganesha’s blessings. The conclusion of the Puja Vidhi involves the immersion of the idol, known as Visarjan.
Devotees carry the idol in a grand procession, accompanied by vibrant music and dancing, to a nearby water body. As they bid farewell to Lord Ganesha, they express their gratitude for his presence and seek his blessings for the upcoming year.
- Devotees are advised to wake up early and prepare for worship by cleansing themselves and wearing clean clothes.
- They should then set up a platform covered with a red or yellow cloth and place the idol of Lord Ganesha on it.
- Various rituals and offerings such as sprinkling holy water, lighting a lamp, applying a tilak on the forehead, and offering sweets, flowers, and fruits should be done.
- The place where the idol is placed should be decorated with decorative materials. The worship should begin with the chanting of the mantra “Om Gan Ganpataye Namah” and the recitation of prayers and hymns dedicated to Lord Ganesha.
- It is also recommended to engage in devotional singing during these days. If unable to bring the idol home, devotees can visit temples to offer prayers and offerings.
When is Ganpati Visarjan 2023?
In 2023, the Ganesh Visarjan ceremony will take place on September 28th. This event marks the end of the Ganesh Utasav festival, with the idol of lord Ganesha being immersed in water. People chant as they accompany the idol to the immersion, expressing their desire for Lord Ganpati to return the following year. This celebration is particularly lively in Mumbai and other areas of Maharashtra.