The United Nations General Assembly declared January 24 as International Day of Education to celebrate the role of education in peace and development. According to the resolution adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 3, 2018, to celebrate the role of education in development, the first International Education Day was celebrated on January 24, 2019.
Importance of Education
Education is our most dominant force in dealing with global issues, such as poverty, well-being, and financial development, as well as building a stronger and viable social order. This is a human right, and it is also an open responsibility. In order to make the right to education more feasible, the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution proclaiming January 24 as International Day of Education.
If we are to improve people lives and advance humanity, education is a basic human right. And a civic duty to ensure that information is disseminated to every generation. In the past few years, we have taken a few extraordinary actions to improve access to education, but for some people around the world, this human need is still out of reach.
The objective of International Education Day 2022
On this day, the celebration is held uniquely. Various global activities are based on three main parts: learning heroes, innovation and financing. Such global events are held at UNESCO headquarters in Paris and New York. The focus of this day is the universal provision of quality education and other topics. It emphasizes the role of high-quality and appropriate education for world peace and development.
What Is the Aim of International Day of Education?
The United Nations regards education as a human right and a public responsibility. Its purpose is to spread education as a basic need and privilege, and to make people aware of their responsibilities and obligations. This day aims to:
- Commemorate the initiatives taken by the government, educators, and associations.
- Emphasizes best practices for effectively and efficiently targeting the most vulnerable groups.
- Take action by restoring and protecting education, increasing inclusiveness and preventing dropouts.
- Support the COVID-19 generation to bridge the gap caused by the recession and express their concerns.
What Are the Challenges in Achieving Universal Education?
Education can help children escape poverty and open a path to an encouraging future. Even today, there are still many children in the world who cannot receive basic education.
- 265 million children and adolescents did not enter or complete their studies.
- 617 million children and young people cannot read and do basic math.
- In sub-Saharan Africa, less than 40% of girls have completed junior high school education.
- 4 million children and young refugees are out of school.
Their right to education has been violated. Without inclusive and fair quality education opportunities, countries will not be able to achieve gender equality and prevent the vicious circle of poverty.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the importance of International Day of Education?
Answer: Education is of course a kind of public goods, human rights and public responsibility. The celebration of International Education Day is to raise people’s awareness of education and promote equality and quality education for all.
- In which year International Day of Education declared?
Answer: December 3, 2018
- When was the first International Day of Education celebrated?
The first International Day of Education was celebrated in the year 2019.