International Volunteer Day – 5th December
We observe international Volunteer Day on 5th December every year. We dedicate this day to developing awareness about the significance of volunteer work.
This day provides a chance for individual volunteers, volunteer organizations, government, and nongovernment agencies to celebrate their efforts and promote their work to the communities.
Historical Background of International Volunteer Day
Volunteers contribute to the social and economic developments of any society. Many volunteer services involve great personal sacrifices.
To recognize the efforts of volunteers and to develop awareness about the significance of volunteer work. A resolution (A/RES/40/212) passed in the general assembly of the United Nations on 17th December 1985.
In this resolution, the UN-invited Governments to observe International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development on 5th December every year.
Through this resolution, the UN-urged Governments to enhance awareness about important contributions of volunteer services and motivate more people in all walk of life to offer their services as a volunteer. Hence the celebration of this day started from the year 1985.
International Volunteer Day – Who is Volunteer?
A volunteer is a person who does a job without pay. How does a person do a job without pay? We do not base their work on any kind of greed and material reward.
The reward of volunteers is recognition, appreciation, and joy. They do work for inner peace and expect the reward of their work from God.
They motivate a volunteer for the attainment of noble causes. These noble causes might fight against poverty, hunger, illiteracy, child labor, women discrimination, environmental pollution or it can be as professional services of evacuation, rehabilitation, first medical aid during natural disasters and accidents.
Why to be a Volunteer – Volunteer Poem?
What are the Benefits of Volunteering?
Volunteering provides benefits to both society and volunteers. We give the detail of these benefits below.
Benefits of Volunteering to Society.
- Volunteers play a significant role in the economy’s development.
- The developing social links of volunteers help to bridge the gaps between governments, sectors, organizations, enterprises, employers, and employees.
- Bring good people and causes together.
- Inspire others for good deeds.
- Bring hope to the hopeless.
- Make the difference, bring happiness, and smile.
Benefits of Volunteering to Volunteer
There are several volunteering benefits to volunteering like skill development, knowledge development, Health, Career… etc. The detail of these benefits is as below.
Skill Development of Volunteer
Volunteerism helps to develop new skills or sharpen existing skills of the volunteers. This skill can be technical, tactical, or human. All these skills play a significant role from top to bottom in all business and social organizations.
Knowledge Development of Volunteer
As volunteers work on real-life projects. Therefore, during these projects volunteers come across enormous pieces of information. This information transforms into experimental knowledge. Thus volunteers gain practical experimental knowledge which becomes their intellectual capital.
Health Benefits to Volunteer
Volunteerism is a healthy sign for volunteers. Volunteer enjoys several health benefits. Health benefits to volunteer areas below.
- Reduces Depression of the volunteer.
- Reduces Stress level of volunteers.
- Lower risk of disease.
- Reduces chronic pain.
- Increases physical fitness.
- Enhance mental fitness.
- Stay active.
Career Benefits to Volunteer
- Increase networking.
- Build self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Recommendation and Reference Letter.
- Develop transferable skills (critical thinking, problem-solving, interpersonal, etc.)
International Volunteer Day Inspirational Quotes
“Never question the value of volunteers, Volunteers built Noah’s Ark; professionals built the Titanic.”
“Services to others is the rent you pay for your room here on the earth.” (Muhammad Ali)
Great Ideas for Volunteer Appreciation
International Volunteer Day provides a chance to appreciate the volunteer work. The below-given ideas list can help to appreciate volunteers.
- Have to use a permanent marker to sign a thank-you T-shirt for a volunteer from all society, community members, celebrities… etc.
- Send a bouquet of fresh flowers to volunteer.
- Give a small plant.
- Send a prayer journal with a special prayer note to volunteer.
- Send a special volunteer cake.
- Go to lunch with a volunteer.
- Invite volunteers for dinner.
- Provide local restaurant coupon deals to volunteer.
- Send a thank-you card with a personal note.
- Reserve special care parking area only for volunteers.
- Reserve a special restaurant place for volunteers.
- Offer Fresh cake and pastries.
- Mention the volunteer’s contributions in the major daily, weekly newsletters.
- Hug to volunteer with great and smile.
- Get wash the volunteer’s car and clean inside.
- Give a bag of candies, nuts, and dry fruits according to the volunteer’s taste with a Thank-note.
I hope you liked our article on International Volunteer Day. For more upcoming posts, follow us.