National Hugging Day is celebrated annually on 21st January each year. For the very first time, this day was celebrated on January 21st, 1986 in Michigan, USA. National Hugging Day was proposed by Kevin Zaborny.
He decided to choose 21st January as it comes after Christmas and New Year celebrations, and he felt that the American people were generally in low spirits after celebrations of two major events of the year.
The idea of National Hugging Day is to encourage people to hug friends and family members openhearted. The celebration of this Day is an effort to continue the spirit of happiness and joy, as well as to overcome the self-created distances between people.
National Hugging Day is celebrated in many of the world countries, even a few of the world countries celebrate this day as the holiday. In some countries like India, Hugging day is celebrated on 13th February, one day before to Valentine’s Day. There is some variance in the celebrations of the day, however the theme behind remains the same.
National Hugging Day Quotes
- Life is too short, hug a little longer, Love a litter stronger, forgive a litter sooner and smile a little sweeter.
- Sometimes it’s better to put love into hugs than to put into words.
- A hug is a handshake from the hearts.
- Hugging is a silent way of saying you matter to me.
- Sometimes a Hug is all you need to make you feel better.
Free Hugs Campaign
Similar to Hugging Day, the Free Hugs campaign is another social movement involving and encouraging individuals to offer free Hugs to strangers in public. The last words of Mr. Jason Hunter’s mother were “Let everyone know that they are an important person” and she died. In inspiration from his mother, Jason thought about the Free Hugs campaign.
However, in the present form, an Australian Man known as Juan Mann started the Free Hugs campaign in 2004 for the very first time. Later on, in 2006, the campaign became famous internationally because of a music video by Australian band Sick Puppies, which has been viewed over 77 million times as of November 20, 2015.
Different Types of Hugs
Interestingly, depending upon the body gestures of the two-person, experts have divided the hugs into the following types:
Back to Front Hug
A back to Front Hug represents the perfect way to provide support and affection to someone. Receiving a Back to Front Hug represents that you have somebody who is always there for you, and it’s a way of expressing love and affection for that person, irrespective of the expectation that is received in return.
Bear Hug is considered as the strongest type of Hugs. In this type of hug, you squeeze your hugging partner in your arms. It is said that generally, people use bear hugs to when they are very much excited and to express strong affection with your hugging partner.
Cheek Hug is an opposite form of Bear Hug, in this type of Hugging is used to comfort someone or show affection feelings. This type of hugging is also practiced by the elderly people who may not be able to hug tightly.
Side to Side Hug
Side to side hug is considered as the most common type of Hugging, and we commonly witness it in our daily routine life. This is the casual style of hugging, expressing our affection feelings for somebody without being too close and excited.
Hear centered hug is a type of hugging usually used with close family members, partners, and friends. The close heart-centered hug is a beautiful gesture to express the feelings of love and to lift the spirits of your loved ones to realize that how much you care about them.
Health benefits that you will gain from hugging
- Research has found that embracing and engaging in physical contact, like hugging, can decrease the production of stress hormones in the body, such as cortisol. This is important as elevated levels of these hormones can lead to various health problems such as sleep disturbances, skin disorders, weight gain, weakened immune system, and other related issues.
- Hugs are beneficial for relationships because they serve as a non-verbal way of expressing emotions and creating a deeper connection. Additionally, physical touch releases oxytocin, a hormone that enhances bonding and trust, and brings people closer together.
How to Celebrate Hugs Day
- Hug your family members and friends to express the feelings of affection and love.
- Forget and forgive the old complaints about each other.
- Go out with your loved ones and spend time with them.
- Overcome the self-created gaps in between.
- Say Happy Hugs Day to strangers and hug them openhearted.
- Exchange gifts with your loved ones.
- Spread awareness about the day so that peace and love can prevail in society.
Life is too short to live, don’t waste the precious life moments in hates and quarrels. Let’s try to spend life in joy, happiness, and love with each other to make this world an even better place to live for every human soul on earth.
When is National Hug Day?
- (2019) January 21 (Monday)
- (2020) January 21 (Tuesday)
- (2021) January 21 (Thursday)
- (2022) January 21 (Friday)
- (2023) January 21 (Saturday)
- (2024) January 21 (Sunday)
National Hug Day 2024
Hugging day will be celebrated on January 21, 2024. It will be the best time to hug your friends, lover, family members, and enemy. Below, I have shared National Hug Day 2024 quotes and wishes. You can use them according to your choice.
- I am wishing you a hug day, with lots of love, care, and smile, I want to hug you, my dear, Can you too.
- Happy hug day, Just give a warm hug to Bucket of flowers sent by me, I just imagine that I got your hug.
National Hug Day 2024 Saying
- There is nothing that I would want to do than hug you right now.
- All I need is the hug, not the therapy.
- As of the present, your hugs are nice to have right now.
- Putting your love into your hugs is much more effective than putting it into your words.
- The hug that lasts longer even after it was let go is from our mothers.
- The shortest distance between friends is their hugs.
- With a hug, don’t just open your arms and lock them on their back, but do that with your heart too.
- A hug is two hearts wrapped in arms.
Thank you for your time in reading the article on the event of the day. Happy Hugging Day.