World Pneumonia Day is observed on 12th November every year. The purpose of this day is to develop awareness about Pneumonia disease.
This day provides a chance to bring people all around the world together to fight against this illness.
World Pneumonia Day Messages and Quotes
- Happy World Pneumonia Day to all. Let us join our hands against the fight against this disease, which takes many lives every year.
- I just wanted to remind you to keep your lungs healthy and safe from infection. A very Happy World Pneumonia Day to you.”
- The sign of a healthy body are healthy lungs. Breathe easy and free. Take care, stay healthy and be safe on this World Pneumonia Day.
- Let us celebrate the occasion of World Pneumonia Day by staying safe and staying healthy. Warm wishes to everyone on this day.”
Historical Background of World Pneumonia Day
The first World Pneumonia Day celebrated by the United Nation on November 12, 2009. On this historical day, over 100 organizations joined to form a Global Coalition against Child Pneumonia. From the year 2009, this awareness day is celebrated each year on 12th November.
General Awareness Facts about Pneumonia Disease
The following are general awareness facts about pneumonia.
• Pneumonia is the leading infectious killer of children under 5 years of age worldwide.
• A child dies from Pneumonia infection every 20 seconds.
• Pneumonia is preventable and treatable.
Pneumonia is preventable and treatable, but yet remains a leading cause of death in children under 5 years of age worldwide.
See Also: World Aids Day; World Diabetics Day
Themes of World Pneumonia Day
The following are historical themes of World Pneumonia Day w.r.t year.
- 2020: Every Breath Counts
- 2016: “Keep the Promise, Stop Pneumonia Now”.
- 2015: “Every Breath Counts: Stop Pneumonia Now”.
- 2014: “Universal Access to Pneumonia prevention and care”.
- 2013: “Innovate to End Child Pneumonia”.
What is Pneumonia?
Pneumonia is the infection in one or both of the lungs. It is caused by Bacteria, Virus or Fungi. This infection causes inflammation in the air sacs of the lungs, called alveoli. The alveoli fill with pus or fluid and result in difficulty of breathing.
How to protect Pneumonia?
Children can be protected from pneumonia with good health practices taken from birth. The protection measures from childbirth are as follows.
• Exclusive Breastfeeding to children for 6 months, extended up to 2 years.
• Adequate complementary nutrition.
How to protect prevent Pneumonia?
Pneumonia can be prevented by the use of following preventive measures. “Prevention is better than cure“. The better prevention can result to safeguard you from pneumonia.
• Pneumonia vaccines.
• Regular handwashing with clean water and soap.
• Safe drinking water.
• Good sanitation.
• Smokers to be avoided and if you smoke, quit. It is prone to respiratory infections, especially pneumonia.
• Reduce the air pollution of the house.
• Maintain a healthy lifestyle to strengthen the body immune system.
• Get enough rest.
• Eat a healthy diet.
• Get regular exercise.
What are the signs and symptoms of Pneumonia?
The following are common signs of Pneumonia. Please note that these signs can also relate to other illnesses. The patient must consult a doctor for an actual diagnosis.
• Coughing that can produce phlegm (mucus).
• Chest pain
• Ear pain and infection
• Shortness of breath.
The other pneumonia symptoms depend upon the cause, severity of the infection and age of gender. The symptoms detail for these factors are as follows.
Pneumonia symptoms by cause
Viral pneumonia may start with flu symptoms. A high fever might occur after 12-36 hours of duration.
Bacterial pneumonia can cause a high fever as high as 105 F and result in bluish lips and nails.
Pneumonia symptoms by age
• Children under five years of age may have fast breathing.
• Infants may vomit or have trouble eating or drinking.
• Older people may have low body temperature than normal temperature.
What is the main cause of pneumonia?
The main cause of the pneumonia is bacterial, viral infection in the lungs.
The pneumonia germs can enter into the lungs from the environment. Also, you can inhale these germs through drink, food if you have swallow problems.
Moreover, the hospital is a major source of strong germs. If you visit a hospital or hospitalized for treatment of another disease, pneumonia germs can attack from the hospital. Furthermore, pneumonia germs can also be acquired from the ventilator.
How do you get Pneumonia?
Bacterial or virus germs are usually the cause of pneumonia. Usually, pneumonia starts when you breathe in these germs into your lungs.
People often have a few germs in the throat and nose. During a cough or sneeze, the tiny germ particles diffuse into the air, which other people can breathe in. In this way, pneumonia can pass through other people.
The doctor examines pneumonia by taking the history of the patient. Listen to the patient lungs with the stethoscope for abnormal sounds.
The doctor can advise chest X-ray, Blood Test complete blood count (CBC: Complete Blood Count). These tests are usually enough.
In case of severe infections, the doctor can recommend more tests. Like CT scan, Sputum Test, .etc.
What is the Treatment of Pneumonia?
The treatment of pneumonia depends upon the type of infection and diagnosis of the doctor. If the diagnostic is bacterial pneumonia, then the doctor will treat it with antibiotics.
If the diagnostic is viral pneumonia, then the doctor will treat it according to viral infection. Viral pneumonia can take time and require a lot of rest to recover. The doctor can advise drinking a lot of water and take regular medicine according to the given prescription.
How Long Does it Take to Recover from Pneumonia?
The recovery time of pneumonia depends on the severity of the infection and the general health of the patient. A young person may return to normal after 1 week of treatment. Others may take longer. If the severity of infection is high, then it can take several weeks for recovery.
Best Home Remedies – Natural Diets for Pneumonia
Below given diets – remedies are very useful to cure pneumonia. The patient can take these diets according to taste and health conditions.
• Vegetables – Carrot Juice
• Fatty Fish
• Steam inhalation
How to Celebrate World Pneumonia Day?
Let us celebrate world pneumonia day by developing awareness about these diseases among our communities.
People are to ask to join an awareness walk. Participate in awareness development education programs. Volunteer services or give donations to fight against this disease.
Thanks for reading this article. You can find the detail of other events on the eventofday. Happy Awareness on World Pneumonia Day.
The purpose of the post is public awareness only. The doctor must be consulted for proper diagnosis and treatment.