World Sleep Day is celebrated annually on the Friday before Spring Vernal Equinox. The Vernal Equinox is time of the year when the sun crosses the plane of the earth’s equator, making night and day of approximately equal length all over the earth and occurs twice in a year; firstly on about March 21st ( called vernal equinox or spring equinox) and secondly on September 23rd ( called autumnal equinox). The World Sleep Day is celebrated on the first spring vernal equinox month of March.
It was started and organized by World Sleep Day committee of world sleep society formally known as World Association of Sleep Medicine (WASM). The very first World Seep Day was organized in 2008.
World Sleep Day is meant to be a celebration of sleep and a decision to action on vital problems associated with sleep, as well as medication, education, social aspects and driving. It is organized by the World Sleep Day Committee of World Sleep Society and aims to reduce the burden of sleep issues on society through higher interference and management of sleep disorders.
The intention of the world Sleep day is to spread the awareness about the importance of sleep in our lives and the significant issues associated with sleep including medicine, education, social aspects and driving.
Read Also: Rare Disease Day
World Sleep day Themes – Slogans:
2018 – Join the Sleep World, Preserve Your Rhythms to Enjoy Life
2017 – Sleep Soundly, Nurture Life
2016 – Good Sleep is a Reachable Dream
2015 – When sleep is sound, health and happiness abound
2014 – Restful Sleep, Easy Breathing, Healthy Body
2013 – Good Sleep, Healthy Aging
2012 – Breathe Easily, Sleep Well
2011 – Sleep Well, Grow Healthy
2010 – Sleep Well, Stay Healthy
2009 – Drive alert, arrive safe
2008 – Sleep well, live fully awake
Top 10 Tips and ways for having better sleep:
- Establish a regular bedtime and waking time.
- Don’t sleep for more than 45 minutes during the day.
- Avoid excessive amounts of alcohol four hours before bedtime and don’t smoke.
- Avoid caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate and fizzy drinks) six hours before bedtime.
- Don’t eat heavy, spicy, or sugary foods four hours before bedtime.
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
- Use comfortable, inviting bedding.
- Find a comfortable sleep temperature setting and keep the room well ventilated.
- Block out all distracting noise and eliminate light.
- Reserve your bed for sleep and sex – don’t use it for work or general recreation.
Top 10 Health Benefits of sound sleep:
Following are the top 10 most important benefits associated with having sound sleep.
- Keep your brain and heart healthy.
- Helps in weight loss and maintain your body posture.
- Reduces depression and stress level.
- Improves your concentration and decision power.
- Boost up your immune system.
- Helps to maintain your blood pressure.
- Improves digestion system.
- Keeps you active and energetic throughout the day.
- Helps you to keep in the good mood.
- Enhances your memory and creativity.
Read Also: World Pneumonia Day
How to Celebrate World Sleep Day:
We should always try to get maximum awareness about all the factors which are directly associated to our health. Same is the case with sleep as it is considered a significant element having direct effect on our health issue so the World sleep day should be celebrated in full spirit and esteem.
Events and seminars should be organized at different platforms to spread the awareness about the importance of sleep in our health. Doctors and medical experts should debate on the topic and advice the public that how the healthy sleep habits should be adopted. Campaigns on the electronic and social media should also be initiated on the World Sleep Day.
We should also teach our kids in the family about the importance of the sleep and try to develop a routine in our homes for “Early to bed and early to rise” so that this healthy routine “keep us Healthy, wealthy and wise”.
World Sleep Day Wallpapers-posters:
Thank you for your time to read the article on eventofday.com and Happy World Sleep Day to all.